Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Before School Begins



The morning is still, and I am perched on the bar stool in my kitchen, savoring a cup of coffee and spending time with the Lord. I look out my window and see that sunshine is flooding my garden. The washing machine hums. I don’t have to be anywhere at a certain time; the day is mine.
All that will change in a few months. On August mornings I will quickly down that cup of coffee as I keep one eye, not on the window where the dim light of daybreak will gradually intensify, but on the clock. I will dash off to school, where the hallways will already be bustling with activity, and a roomful of energetic, needy little friends will await me.
As I thought about the frantic mornings that I foresee, the Lord spoke to me in the quiet of my imagination: “Don’t forget to pray for each of those children in your care, for they are Mine. Each one is created in My image, and I have a plan for each one. You see them as they are now, just beginning, unfinished. I see what they will become.
“Look at the names on your class roster.  There’s something special about the child attached to each name. One has a winning smile.  Another has a generous heart.  One can build. Another can dance. One is a whiz with numbers. Another is a master at music. One is an athlete. Another is a writer. One is a nurturer. Another is a leader. One loves nature. Another loves the stage.  And, remember, ---from the loudest and most high-maintenance child to the quiet-as-a-mouse, often over looked child---each one, at least in the eyes of his or her parents, is the most important child in your room.
“Don’t categorize the children as Good Students or Struggling Students or as Well-Behaved or Disruptive. Each one is unique; look at the whole child.  Yes, your goal is to teach each one to read and write, add and subtract.  They’ll need to know these things in order to succeed in the world.  But there are so many other factors that contribute to a successful life. (And by successful I mean a life in which they fulfill the purpose for which they were created.)
“Social skills are imperative. They’ll need to know how to respect one another and work cooperatively. There are many successful people in the world who were not A students but who have great people skills.  They are friendly and caring, and others seek out their company. You, as a teacher, need to model respectful and polite behavior. Show them how to get along with each other.
“Perseverance is important.  Academic skills don’t come easy to everyone, but often the students who struggle can surpass the intellectually gifted---if in their struggles they have the drive and motivation to press on. You, as a teacher, need to inspire your students to keep trying.
“And don’t forget to foster creativity.  Don’t overlook that artistic child.  His reading test scores may not be off the charts, but oh, think of the gifts he can offer to the world if you foster his talents and encourage him to develop them.”
“And,” God reminded me, “sometimes you are going to fail as a teacher.  Some days you will let that one child aggravate you. Another student won’t make as much progress as you hoped for her.  But it will all work out, if you remember the Single Most Important Thing You Must Do: you must introduce them to Me. Let them know that their Creator loves them and is ever-present to help them.  Let them know that My Holy Spirit can fill them and provide all of the guidance and the love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control that they need to navigate their world. When they mess up, I am here to offer forgiveness to them (and to their teacher, too).
“Love them and lean on Me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment