Friday, October 16, 2020

Pumpkins


I love the pumpkin patch. Those fields of orange balls and the wave of cool weather reminds me a change is coming. We're getting a reprieve from the heat (and hopefully from the hurricanes). In August and September we put in hours and hours of hard work, and we're beginning to reap the rewards of our efforts.

I'm already seeing the results of our efforts. My little students are mastering those sight words and are beginning to read independently. They're questioning, exploring, writing, thinking, and reasoning, reasoning, They're growing.

The field trip to the Pumpkin Patch, our first of the school year, was a chance to take a break from all our hard work and enjoy the blessings God sends our way: friends, families, and outdoor fun. It leaves me feeling hopeful that, after the challenges we've faced earlier this year due to Covid-19, we'll once again be able to enjoy the blessings of holiday gatherings and special events.

Every fall I remember the words of encouragement God gives us:

 "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. " Galatians 6:9 (ESV)








 















In Chapel on Thursday, Mrs. Cathy read The Pumpkin Patch Parable by Liz Curtis Higgs. I wondered if my class truly understood the analogies in the parable, since 5- and 6-year olds are often still concrete thinkers; they sometimes are very literal in their thinking and don't understand symbolism. So I questioned them after class. 

How is God like the farmer in the story? 

The students responses proved they were listening and understanding. 

"He takes care of us."
"He's patient with us."
"He washes away our sins."

What does it mean to let God's light shine in you?

Again, the kids had good answers.

"Do good things."
"Share."
"Help other people." 

Yes, my little friends are learning, growing, and reaping the rewards of their hard work.


No comments:

Post a Comment