Sunday, September 1, 2019

Inquiring Minds

Learning to Read: Putting Sounds Together to Make Words
Writing the Room: Finding Words All Around the Classroom

Listening to Stories


Using Our Sense of Sight in the STEAM Lab



Using our Sense of Touch

Using Our Sense of Hearing

Using Our Sense of Smell

Teamwork: Rolling the Dice and Adding One More

The Wiggly Tooth that Came Our During the Math Lesson

Ready for the Bible Lesson
True story...

I was shopping for shoes last Friday after school, and I noticed a little boy playing among the shoe boxes.

"I think I know you," he said.

"Where do you go to school?" I asked.

"I go to Parkview, " he said. "You taught kindergarten."

"Yes," I said. "And you look like a very good kid." (He'd been in another kindergarten class and is now in first grade. I was impressed by how patiently he waited while his mother shopped.)

"Well," he said, "no one is good all the time. Everyone makes mistakes."

"Yes," I agreed, "The Bible says all have sinned."

"But Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins," he said.

Then he thought for awhile.

"But you can be mostly good if you try," he added.

"You're right," I said. "God can help you do what's right."

Here was a kid with a great outlook on life.

This is why I teach at a Christian school. It's  a great privilege to be able to teach truths from the Bible...truths that will help children have a solid, healthy worldview. It's a privilege to teach children to read so that they can discover those truths for themselves. It's a privilege to teach them to investigate the world so that they can see how wonderfully all of nature works together and points to a Creator.

But wait, there's more...

As I was leaving the shoe department, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see a tall, slender girl and her brother. Both had once been in my kindergarten class. Though they are both in middle school now, busy with all kinds of activities like dance and football, but not too busy to stop and give their former teacher a hug.

That another reason why I teach at Parkview: I have the opportunity to watch children grow into  kind, respectful, and Christ-honoring young men and women.



No comments:

Post a Comment