Friday, August 27, 2021

Young Scientists

We're investigating apples.

In the STEAM lab, we observe, weigh, measure, and experiment on apples.



We record our observations in our Science Journals.

Will the apple sink or float?
Hooray! It floats! My hypothesis is correct!

We're using our senses to investigate.

Science is the "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."  Or, as we tell the students, when we study science, we are investigating the wonders of God's creation. These students love going to the STEAM lab to learn about God's world.



I'm using my sense of hearing.

These two sound the same.


STEAM lab is fun!


What does it smell like?

I've identified the smell.





What's in there?
I'm not sure I want to touch it.

It feels soft.

I'm writing down my observations.

Yum! Tastes sweet!
Can I throw the ball in the basket with my eyes closed?

Mrs. Bonaventure reveals the contents of the touch boxes.


It bothers me when people claim, "I believe in science," implying we have to choose whether to believe in God or believe in Science. We can learn from scientific discoveries without abandoning our faith in God. . For when we observe and investigate the complexity, the intricacy, and the harmony of creation (the natural world), we see the awesome hand of God. (Dr. Francis Collins, who is the director of the National Institute of Health and is also a Christian, has more to say on the subject in his book, The Language of God, and also on his website BioLogos.  Dr. Steven Foster, pastor of Community Bible Church, has also written on the subject on his Heelcatcher blog.) 

 I hope the children in my class will always continue to ask questions, to research, to experiment, and to make new discoveries. And I hope their discoveries will strengthen their faith in an all-wise, omnipotent God.

The sum of our knowledge about the physical world continues to grow as humans make new discoveries and learn more about God's world. I hope one day some of these boys and girls will make discoveries that will benefit mankind and provide additional reasons for us to glorify our Creator. 

Our students learned about germs and about staying healthy.
Students wrote about what they learned.
Bacteria and viruses don't really have wiggly eyes. 
But aren't these cute artistic renditions of microbes?
The class had fun painting these germs.
The students drew their own sketches of germs.
 
 








No comments:

Post a Comment