Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The New Normal

Our kids are going to be okay. Despite all the uncertainty, craziness, the chaos created by this new corona virus, I know our kids have a solid foundation of faith. They know where to turn in times of trouble. Today, on our last day together for awhile, we had Free Centers at the end of the day.

          "Look what I made out of play doh, Mrs. Kemp! It's someone praying!"
This was followed by a play doh representation of a group of people sitting in a circle praying. (I;m not sure if the people in the play doh group were maintaining the appropriate social distance; the little ones are still not good at keeping their distance. They still want to come close and get their hugs.)

I was also encouraged when I read the following (completely unprompted) journal entry:
I thought, "Now here's someone who knows what life is all about." Loving God. Showing kindness. Having joy. (And by the way, I did not help at all with spelling or punctuation, so of course, this teacher's heart was very happy.)

I made the children promise to do their work at home without pouting. I know this is a promise that will be difficult to keep, so I'll be praying for all the parents in the days ahead. But the students have a good foundation, and I know they're going to be okay.

The following was Paul's prayer for his young disciple Timothy, but it could also be my prayer for my students:

"I thank God, whom I serve, ...as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois ( or _______insert child's grandmother's name here) and in your mother Lois ( or _______insert mother's name) and which I am persuaded now lives in you also. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God,.....For God has not given you a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline." II Timothy 1:7 NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment